This position provides leadership and technical expertise in the design, development and support of the digital applications of the organization. The solution architect role requires a strong technical background/experience to be a key member of the team that develops, maintains, and integrates the organization's business-critical systems. Assignments require the individual in this position to act as an integral part of the development team to architect, design, and develop innovative solutions. Assignments often involve research in the application and/or business area and have a direct impact on assigned project schedules, costs and performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists IT Leadership Team and project leaders/managers in the development of feasibility analysis, tasks-environmental study, requirements definition, system conceptualization and cost-benefit study; develops general design of a system in accordance with specifications.
- Configures and integrates packaged applications with existing systems
- Although senior level development knowledge is a requirement, this role’s main focus is on project success and leading technical delivery resources.
- Partners with business units and business analysts to create innovative solutions and identify alternative procedural solutions and costs associated with each solution.
- Takes a leadership role on inter- and intra-departmental projects including:
- Developing and leading project plans and timelines,
- Keeping the project leader/manager and the IT Leadership Team informed,
- Providing technical assistance to team members and directing their project-related assignments,
- Reviewing team’s work for completeness and correctness in accordance with specifications, soundness of technical judgment and overall adequacy, and
- Ensuring adherence to established standards in design, programming, testing and documentation.
- Provides technical guidance and support to other systems analysts
- Analyzes business cases in terms of the business environment, technical infrastructure, system capacity and business response time expectations when proposing solutions.
- Participates in own continuing education and learning programs while also providing assistance to peers.
- Supports co-workers cross-functionally with user testing, resolving Help Desk concerns, developing Standard Operating Procedures, on-call rotation for covering application systems, and other work as requested.
- Functions as a subject matter expert (SME) for junior members of staff
- Leads first-of-a-kind initiatives
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must have the ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.,) in its most difficult phases.
- Must have the ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead/provide consult to large projects/programs
- Development and implementation of solutions in Azure, including Azure Integration Services
- Prior solution/application architecture experience
- js, Drupal, Java, JDBC, Web Services, SOAP, XML/XSLT, JSP Transfer protocols (HTTP, FTP, EDI etc.)
- Understanding of HTML/DHTML, DOM,
The following qualifications are preferred, but not required:
- Working knowledge of iterative development process
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server product suite, Microsoft SharePoint, and Microsoft Office product suite
- Demonstrated LEAN application, demonstrates insight and thought leadership to reduce or eliminate complexities
- Guidewire Insurance Suite integration and/or development
- Insurance industry experience, especially in developing digital experiences for direct-to-consumer and independent agents
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Must have a minimum of five years of digital experience design, configuration, development and integration
- Must have a minimum of 7 years of experience in object-oriented programming (Java, C++, or equivalent) skills
- Property/casualty insurance or financial services experience desired.
- Technical certifications in digital development platforms and technologies are preferred