Senior Java Developer / Back-end — 6745
Our client is a Madison, Wisconsin-based technology company located in the heart of downtown Madison. Our client’s company currently provides two mobile applications in the mobile grocery market, both the Android and iOS platforms. The mission of our client is to provide easy access to the information and technology necessary for people to enjoy every stage in the life of food (inspiration, planning, purchasing, preparation, and of course…eating). Founded in 2013 and growing, our client is looking for a senior software engineer to help them change the grocery shopping experience.
The Senior Services Developer will focus on building backend services to integrate seamlessly with our data warehouse, mobile platforms, and other systems. This will be a key leadership position on our client’s team, tasked with providing guidance and technical direction for our backend services and systems. Success in this role requires the ability to be handed a challenging problem and design & develop an appropriate solution with little to no assistance.
- Break problems into solvable pieces and translate those solutions into code. Our client uses the best technical solution for the project so be prepared to work across many different languages and databases.
- Hands-on architectural design and implementation of highly scalable and reliable services.
- Ensure delivery of a high-quality product by being involved in all areas of the software development life-cycle.
- Drive projects from conceptualization through to successful deployment and on-going support and maintenance.
SKILLS WE BELIEVE YOU NEED FOR THIS POSITION:
- 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer
- Proficiency with Java (or other object-oriented language) and excellent understanding of service oriented architecture.
- Ability to troubleshoot large scale production systems and explain both short and long-term solutions with trade-offs.
- Effective communication, including the ability translate and explain technical issues to a non-development team member.
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team, both within and across departments.
- Familiarity with at least one version control system (bonus points for knowing the exact Git commands).
- Love of Dogs! . . . Or just tolerance. Our client is a very canine friendly workplace.
SKILLS WE BELIEVE WOULD BE HELPFUL FOR THIS POSITION:
- Working with MongoDB and MySQL (or other relational database).
- Developing on an AWS supported stack.
- Experience with test writing and quality assurance.
- Our client prefers an undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering or mathematical field of study