The Network Engineer position is responsible for the design, support, and implementation of network and communication technologies to provide stable and robust connectivity. This is a technical specialist position that assists with the complex and detailed work necessary to design, establish, monitor, and maintain connectivity between employees, vendors, customers, and geographically disperse locations. This position also serves as a mentor to junior staff.
Essential Duties and responsibilities:
- Establishes a networking environment by architecting, designing, and implementing system configuration; architecting, directing, and performing installations; defining, documenting, and enforcing system standards
- Possesses strong project management skills.
- Documents project requirements including scope, costs, schedule, testing and terms of delivery to ensure project is completed with highest level of quality on time and within budget.
- Researches and identifies technology opportunities and their application to the business.
- Designs and implements new solutions and improves the resiliency of the current environment.
- Maximizes network performance by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades and collaborating with staff on network optimization tasks.
- Performs data fault investigations in local and wide area environments, using information from multiple sources.
- Secures the network system by implementing and enforcing policies. Works in conjunction with security staff to define security policies and designs configurations/selects technology necessary to implement those policies.
- Supports and administers the firewall environment in accordance with IT security policy.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations.
- Monitors and reports network operational status by gathering and prioritizing information.
- Plans for and upgrades data network equipment to latest stable firmware releases.
- Configures routing and switching equipment.
- Has a thorough understanding of advanced network concepts including TCP/IP, ethernet, static and dynamic routing, VLANs, BGP, VRRP, VRF, NetFlow, DMVPN, EIGRP, OSPF, QoS, and access lists.
- Performs advanced configuration of firewalls.
- Provides third level network support to other teams and end users.
- Creates detailed documentation of network environment using multiple tools and methods.
- Provides support and troubleshooting of WAN technologies including T1, EoC, fiber optics, cable and DSL connections
- Installs server hardware and software infrastructure as required