Beacon Technologies is looking for a Sr. Java / J2EE Web Services Developer to work in Janesville/Madison, WI
The Java Database Developer is responsible for design and development of back end services in support of web based internal and external applications, using suite of Java based technologies. Working from start to finish on each project, approaching from both a business and technical point of view. The Java Developer role requires a strong understanding of object oriented and service oriented principles, exposure towards web applications with good analytical and coding skills.
- Design and Create application middleware REST based services, using spring and Grails frameworks.
- Adhere to test-driven-development practices and maintain a high degree of coverage during development.
- Apply scalability, maintainability, performance, security and availability principles in designing and creating services.
- Maintain Legacy web applications/services, built on various technology stacks like servlet and JSP technologies, Rails/Ruby, spring and Struts.
- Be part of the scrum design discussion working with the Front-End and Database team; actively participate in discussion by providing suggestions and ideas.
- Perform development testing/unit testing to ensure the deliverables satisfy the contract identified during design and minimize issues identified after delivery.
- Provide production environment support for internal and external application/services.
- Upgrade framework for corresponding service stack to newer version based on the needs identified.
- Maintain coding standards with integrated organization defined “CodeNarc” rulesets.
- Maintain Service REST API standards and service API documentation.
- Adhere to the process defined for JIRA issue management system; update task status and provide valuable comments promptly and consistently.
- Create and maintain confluence documents and notes; realizing the future needs as part of the development.
- Perform DevOps functionality.
- Perform adjustment to CSS styling and Jquery scripts on legacy application.
- Writing stored procedures.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree, five (5) years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have strong experience working with MVC frameworks, to include Spring, Spring boot.
- Groovy and Grails experience preferred.
- Must have web services and/or REST experience.
- Must have developed Hibernate based applications and have a firm understanding of Hibernate concepts.
- Excellent understanding of application servers, multi-tier architectures.
- Extremely strong core Java coding skills, including an understanding of optimization, performance, and object-oriented design.
- Strong understanding of spring security concepts is desired.
- Must be familiar with writing SQL queries.
- Exposure towards using any version control systems like GIT, SVN, CVS etc.
- Good to have Apache Solr, Apache Camel and any Messaging Queue exposure.
Productivity and Quality of Work
Completes all assignments; performs work according to current guidelines and directives; pays attention to detail; produces work that matches expectations; produces work that is organized; presented professionally, thorough, complete, accurate, and free of errors.
Software & Hardware Knowledge
- Ability to use Microsoft Visual Studio to develop C# programs
- Ability to use SQL Server Management Studio
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Ability to work with Atlassian JIRA to monitor team progress
- Ability to use Atlassian Confluence
Written and Verbal Communication
- Possesses sound knowledge of formal business communications.
- Demonstrates the ability to be concise, articulate, and adapt a communication style to a specific audience.
- Possesses the ability to develop well-written, easy to understand materials.
- Display timely attention to messages.
- Critical Thinking
- Conceptualizes, applies, analyses, synthesizes, and/or evaluates information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to action.
- Possess the ability to prioritize tasks and projects.
- Demonstrates strong ability to complete important tasks before they become urgent, and shift tasks if something urgent arises.
- Demonstrates strong ability to recognize the waste in processes and address them with new and/or improved ones.
Maintains professional appearance appropriate to the job; exhibits sound judgment; maintains a high level of character and professional attitude; has positive relationships with managers.
Confidentiality and Integrity
- Keeps sensitive business and personnel matters private.
- Is a reliable person throughout actions, words, decisions, methods, and outcomes.
- Intentionally reflects on what to say, how to behave, and how to make decisions in a way that shows the same authentic person regardless of the situation.
- Is truthful and trustworthy.
Works well with others, exchanges information and ideas, makes an effort to synergize own skills and expertise to the collective to achieve a common goal or purpose.